Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Crazy Story





So, what's my story and how did I end up here. To say my story is crazy is the understatement of the century.

I think I was born in Brooklyn, NY, but I'm not sure. The bad people that had me wanted me to fight. So they cut off my ears and threw me in the ring. It didn't take long for them to figure out that I'm a lover, not a fighter. So, they threw me out on the street to fend for myself.

Luckily, I was found and taken to the shelter. Soon I was rescued by some wonderful people. They took me to a new home with my two mommies
Maria and Sabrina. I love them both sooo much.

My mommy Sabrina got sick for a little while, and I went to stay with my friend Courtney. She loved me and was soooo good to me. She took me to the park!!!

The entire time, everybody was trying to find me a forever home. But nobody would take me. Mommy Sabrina got better and I went back home to Brooklyn. But still, no home.

It was getting close to Christmas and my house was really full and there was just not enough room. My mommies didn't know what to do.

They called their friend and my best friend ever Susan Cava. Susan said, "hang on and let me call somebody, I think I may have a home."

Susan was friends with my new daddy. She called my daddy and asked him if he could give me a home, and he said "yes!"

So, Susan and mommie Maria made plans to drive me to my new home on the beach. And just then, the biggest snowstorm of the century hit. Nobody was going anywhere. Just another disappointment. But that's OK, I'd gotten used to that by now.

Susan called my daddy Patrick and tried to figure out what to do. They came up with a plan. A crazy plan.

My dad would fly to NYC, and then rent a car and drive me back home--drive me back home on Christmas Eve.

It took 10 hours to drive back home and I got sick in the back of the car, but finally I was home.

I knew this was my home and I ran as fast as I could up the steps to go inside. I could hear other dogs barking inside, but i didn't care, I was home.

My dad tried to keep me outside and take it slow, but that wasn't happening. I used my 83 pound head and pushed in the door and went inside. Four dogs were there to greet me. We sniffed and sniffed and got to know each other. It took a little while to get to know each other and for them to accept me as a full member of the crew--almost 15 minutes.

Within 15 minutes we were eating out of the same food bowl. Chasing the tennis ball. Chasing each other in the back yard.

We were all really tired and within a couple hours we all fell asleep in bed. I spooned with my new brother Luther. He was going to be my BFF.

I am so happy and can't believe how lucky I am.

Thank you to everyone who played a part in getting me here. I love you all.

Above are a couple of photos. Me before, and me after.

One Love.


3 comments:

  1. That's pretty much the jist of my story, I was found on Brooklyn Avenue, in Brooklyn, New York, I am one of the mommies of beautiful Nicky, (Maria) and from my experience with this gorgeous bundle of love seemed to pick up on a few things that I think was his past life. I believe they thought they had a fighter and cut his ears with a scissor (probably w/out anesthesia) they'd never take him for a professional job, why would they spend money on him when all they wanted me for was to make money off of me. They cut them so short in some pics it looks like he doesnt even have ears, its just a small curl. Awful job, and I cant imagine the excruciating pain my poor boy endured.
    But yes on December 23rd (I believe thats the date) we went to beautiful Susan's house and there was pretty Beth, Patrick and they were waiting on us. We brought lots of goodies to snack on and had wine, we had a really nice nite, and Nicky adapted to Patrick immediately

    ReplyDelete
  2. (CONTINUATION)

    Nicky just loves people, thats his favorite thing in the world. I bet the people who had him before were severely disappointed to find this out. He'd rather be in your lap and kiss you then show a kackle.
    Not a mean bone in his body. He's not a submissive dog, if another dog goes for him, then YES he will defend himself and he has shown it to my own dog who is a bully and not in the breed sense. He's the master and lets other dogs know this 24 hrs. a day. Okay Bandit, we get it, it's your house, you are the boss. Get over it already. One minute you're playing with me like you're my best friend in the world, the next you want to fight like there is money on our heads. I liked you Bandit but I must say, I think you are Bi-Polar and need medications. Nicky would tell me that and I would just say yes Nicky you are correct, let's try to ignore him for now. Then they'd be sleeping side by side. And Nicky would give me the side eye like "see what I mean ma, he's cuckoo. And I would just nod yes I know Nicky, I know."
    Nicky by far is one of my favorite foster dogs Ive had in the past 7 years. If I didnt have a male dog already (Crazy Bandit) I would of kept Nicky, cause he did wonderful with my other 2 dogs, and the cats he could care less about, he was a good watch dog too, which usually some pits aren't. I have one that is and the other will take the thief to my jewelry box and have a biscuit with him/her.
    Nicky would hear the slightest noise at night while late into the night and start barking mad.
    God forbid the upstairs tenants came home after we were all asleep and lights off, he went nuts, which is good, cause I don't hear things that he does. Anyway, Im just writing to say that Nicky turned out to make me believe in the good in people again, (I lost that feeling about 7 years ago while starting this venture into the rescue world)and he was adopted on Christmas which is St. Nicks day and that is his name, it just all came to perfection. Thank you Daddy for saving me and giving me a home in paradise, thank you Susan for pulling me for Maria and all you did for us financially and otherwise. His mugshot from ACC the pic above is the picture that got me to call the number and contact the person on Facebook. The person that took the picture posted it on Susans page and that's how Susan and I met. It was that picture, so thank you to Paula for taking the picture, otherwise Nicky wouldnt' of had a chance, the shelters are packed and everyday healthy, beautiful dogs, such as Nicky go down for lack of space, it's an awful situation. The ACC is an awful place to be for a dog, whether they're strays or owner surrender, I'd imagine a bit worst for owner surrendered dogs, going from your home and family one day to going to a strange place, being crated practically 24 hours, lucky if you get a walk. They only get out when the crates need to be washed out, then they're put back in a wet crate to stay the rest of the day...just waiting for their time to get the fatal needle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (CONTINUATION, sorry)
    Please people save a dog, don't buy a dog. There is every and any breed you want out there, there are breed specific websites. There are puppies available too, alot of pregnant moms come in and then they will have the pups there. Please do your homework, its so rewarding and your heart will grow 100x bigger than what it is knowing you saved this dog/cat and it's alive because of you and TRUST ME these animals are very, very intuitive they seem to know that you saved them, they are grateful. Dogs pick up on feelings, negativity, positivity, they know. They know sickness, they know sadness. Humans can learn so many things from animals, just look at this link I provided.
    Thanks to all who helped bringing and making Nicky into what he is today, nothing but a joy to be around, a funny, entertaining dog, a bed warmer, a sound sleeper, a snorer (huge), a personality that you will never ever forget.
    Oh by the way, he took a huge chunk of my heart with him to North Carolina. I will be seeing him soon but it can't be soon enough, hopefully within 2 months.

    http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=45254
    ^^Regarding a Squirrel fighting a dog for her baby. Please look at these pictures.

    ReplyDelete